Executive coaching is a professional relationship between a trained coach and a client (who may be an individual or a group) with the goal to enhance the client’s leadership, performance and development.
Through a process of inquiry, dialogue, and other tools, the coach serves as a thought partner to help the client examine and develop his or her decision-making, experiment with new ways of thinking and being, and commit to action steps that help achieve the client’s goals. (Source: Jeffrey E. Auerbach, Ph.D., MCC)
Benefits of Coaching
The personal benefits of coaching are as wide-ranging as the individuals involved. Clients highlight that coaching positively impacts their careers and broader lives by helping:
- Empower individuals to take responsibility
- Increase employee and staff engagement
- Improve individual performance
- Help identify and develop high potential employees
- Help identify both organisational and individual strengths and development opportunities
- Help to motivate and empower individuals
- 80% coaching clients report increased self-confidence
- over 70% benefit from improved work performance, relationships, and more effective communication skills
- 86% of companies report that they recouped their investment on coaching and more
(source: ICF 2009)
The essence of executive coaching is helping leaders get unstuck from their dilemmas and assist them to transfer their learning into results for the organisation.
Mary Beth O'Neill
Executive Coaching with Backbone and Heart
My coaching sessions with Zia have been of great importance and value to me. During our sessions there was always a clear focus on helping me to establish my goals. Zia would ask me open and powerful questions in a manner that would both encourage and challenge my thinking to explore areas that I had not considered. There was a lot of respect for the work that was being done together and for me there was always a feeling of trust and integrity with Zia. I was able to take time to think during the coaching conversations and also establish useful and timely actions.